Welcome to the El Dorado Wine Grape Growers
We are a passionate group of family farmers carrying forward the long traditions of wine grape growing in El Dorado County. The Association promotes premium wine grape growing and the wine grape industry in El Dorado County through education, innovation, and communication.
EDWGGA activities include:
- Monthly meetings for members, many of which include programs on wine grape growing and the wine industry.
- Providing a centralized place on our website for the world to become better acquainted with our members and their vineyards.
- Active promotion of members' grapes to the larger wine industry.
- Field trips to observe and discuss vineyard management and various aspects of wine grape growing.
- Promoting El Dorado County as a premium wine grape growing region.
- Sponsoring the Frank Herbert Memorial Award and the El Dorado Wine Grape Growers Award at the El Dorado County Fair Open Wine Competition.
- Hosting a Holiday Season party and other social events throughout the year to facilitate grower camaraderie and communication.
- Partnering with the UC Davis Cooperative Extension on vineyard research and Foothill Grape Day.
Walker Vineyard - Hedgerow Project
This past year Walker Vineyard received a grant from the NCAT (National Center for Appropriate Technology) to plant a hedgerow at the boarder of the vineyard and Oak Hill Road. This hedgerow provides food, shelter and cover for wildlife. The 1,100 foot planting will provide beneficial habitat to promote pollinators, butterflies and other wildlife with 15 different native plants including red flowering currant and holly leaf cherry.
Meetings are usually held on the third Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. at the Veteran’s Memorial Building at 130 Placerville Drive in Placerville. Occasionally meetings are held in conjunction with summer field trips to various vineyards and wineries. A meeting is usually skipped during the harvest season. See the Grower News and Alerts tab for details on our next meeting topic and speaker.